[Alberg30] Cutless bearing question

t.k.blanc at att.net t.k.blanc at att.net
Fri Aug 8 18:16:33 PDT 2003

There are two "scoops" - one on each side of the cutless bearing housing. The
holes should be drilled to align with these scoops. I "measured" the position
of the scoop hole inside the bearing housing by unbending a paper clip so
that there was just one 90 degree bend in one end, sort of like a feeler. It
worked fine. Hook the scoop hole with the bent end of the clip, pull forward
and mark, push back and mark, and the center of the hole is right in the
middle.

Drilling the thing would be a lot easier on a drill press. You could mark
just one side and drill all the way through. The hardest part was getting the
holes lined up straight across the bearing from each other. I think I used a
quarter inch bit. A little bigger might be better than a little smaller in
this case.

Bearing quality counts. I had a Goodyear bearing for several years that had
much thinner brass and much thicker rubber than the Morse bearing I'm using
now, which is model named "Albacore" (the model name denotes the size of the
bearing.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Clean the scoops!