[Alberg30] Faraday's cage lightning protection

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Thu Aug 21 14:09:00 PDT 2003

A Faraday cage does not depend on grounding.  There's a simple description
at http://www.physics.gla.ac.uk/~kskeldon/PubSci/exhibits/E3/  The short
answer is that any space enclosed by conductors is protected from static
charges outside that space.

On a sailboat, this tends to protect the inhabitants, but not necessarily
the boat, itself.

 - George

P.S. There's a really excellent biography of Michael Faraday by L. Pearce
Williams that discusses his work as well as his life.  It's out of print,
but if you enter "L. Pearce Williams" for author and "Faraday" for title
in the ABE search box on http://www.alberg30.org you'll find it available
at a reasonable price.

  I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  So many I love were not yet born.