[Alberg30] Zinc Anode location

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Wed Aug 27 14:44:25 PDT 2003

Calvin,
OK     Check the location of your engine zincs. Find and actually touch the
zinc portion. I'm sure you'll find that the zinc portion goes into a cooling
water passage on the engine. It's probably attached to a brass plug that
screws into the casting of the engine / heat exchanger / exhaust manifold.
  The zinc is meant to be the least noble of the metals in the area around
it. Electrolysis sets up similarly to the way a wet cell battery works.
There must be an Anode and a Cathode (dissimilar metals) in a media that
allows electrons to flow (water / battery acid). Then the battery works by
transferring electrons from the less noble to the more noble metal.
  If electrolysis is going to happen, the zinc will eat away because it is
less noble than Bronze, Stainless, Monel, etc.
  I hope I was able to explain it in a way that you understand what I mean.
Regards,
Brian