[Alberg30] Traveler

RC Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Sun Aug 10 07:10:38 PDT 2003

I can think of no reason related to performance not to do this (it will not
gain anything by way of performance), but many reasons related to
convenience, design, and econony of effort make this a lousy idea.

Fifteen or twenty years ago, I sailed regularly on a Swedish built boat of
about 31 feet which had a typical deep, high-sided North Sea cockpit, canoe
stern, and foward cockpit mainsheet traveller.  The boat had been across the
Atlantic racing; the single handed skipper had broken a couple of ribs and
finished the race tied in his bunk while the boat mostly sailed itself. I
was always willing to bet that he broke his ribs tripping over the mainsheet
traveller, although the truth is unknown to me. The placement of the
mainsheet traveller on this boat was a damned nusiance--you could never move
around without going over or through a spiderweb of lines.

The placement of the traveller on this boat (and, I think, on the Alberg) on
the step in front of the main hatch guarantees:

1. You could not move above or below through the companionway without
stepping around or through the mainsheet and control lines. The Swedish boat
had adequate handholds, but it still required forethought to move through
the cockpit.  As there are no handholds on the Alberg, it may become a
dangerous distraction in bad weather.

2.  A dodger is a practical impossibility, or close to it. Certainly a
dodger big enough to have adequate side protection from spray is impossible
on the Alberg. This potentially limits resale. Spray in your face
continuously is tiring. So is rain.

3.  A bimini is possible, but (on an Alberg) cannot be made large enough to
do you much good, because the mainsheet limits how far forward the bimini
can go. Being confined to the back third of the cockpit trying to stay out
of the sun (if you cruise with crew) defeats the purpose of moving the
traveller forward.

4. Jib/Gennoa sheets are easily fouled in the mainsheet or the traveller
control lines.  We once broached the Swedish boat because a genny sheet
became fouled and we couldn't cut it fast enough

5. You'd be amazed how much butt space this can take up when you've got 6 or
8 people in your cockpit trying to eat.

6. And most importantly, such an arrangement is liable to spill drinks
nestled against the looward forward cockpit rail.

There may be some other drawbacks. Remember that the Alberg is designed as a
Racer/Cruiser.  In general, I think that there is concensus that there are
very few modifications which will actually improve the performance of the
boat, making it faster and more comfortable to sail. Modifying the boat to
be more racer than cruiser (or vice versa) involves further design
compromises from Alberg's intent, and those compromises may not all
contribute equally to a satisfying result.

Rob