[Alberg30] Dismasting of Matchmaker.

Maggie Ross nauticallyyours-maggie at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 1 07:16:49 PST 2003

Re. the posting on:
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:53:35 -0500
To: Alberg 30 public list <public-list at alberg30.org>

I'm curious as to how many A-30 owners have a bolt completely across the foot of the mast connecting it to the base-plate?

On Strathgowan this was done to prevent the mast popping out of position accidentally. It would probably twist and do some damage to the cabin top long before the foot of the mast actually went over the side.

If Matchmaker's boom went into the water with the  full mainsail up, it is probable that they could not cut or let the lines go fast enough to stop the tremendous torque that would be exerted on the whole structure of the rigging with the amount of water that they would be lifting on the way back up, therefore it parted at the weakest point. Sounds like they got caught in extreme conditions with too much sail flying and had a very bad knock-down.

Very glad to hear that there were no injuries to the captain and crew.

Fair winds,
Maggie.
formerly Strathgowan, #400.

"May the Light of the Houses along the way, guide you safely to your future destinations." M & I.