[Alberg30] Vang

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sat Dec 6 17:05:47 PST 2003

Hey,

Thx for the reply, Stephen.  But I was not suggesting attaching the vang to
mast step plate bolts. I thought the bolt that goes through the bottom of the
mast, that holds it to the mast step plate, should be strong enough to bear the
force of the vang. Obviously, the bolt itself would have to replaced with a
longer one, so that an eye of a bale could be slipped over each end, on either
side of the mast. Do you think the base of the mast could support the force of
the vang, or would there be a danger of deforming the bottom of the mast?

Stargazer had no vang when we got her.  With all of the other projects we had
to do just to get her sailing this season, securing a 'proper fitting' for
the lower end of the vang was not a high priority, and I just used webbing
around the base of the mast to secure the lower end of the vang. I wound SS wire
around the webbing and to the head and nut ends of the bolt that goes through
the base of the mast to keep the webbing from riding up the mast. That actually
worked out very well, though it does not look 'neat'. I was going to get the
longer bolt and a bale and secure the vang 'properly' as one of this winter's
projects; should I re-think this? I'm not using one of the modern, tubular
vangs, but simply a block and tackle.

thx,
Lee
Stargazer #255