[Alberg30] cost of ownership

James Williamson jamesgordonwilliamson at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 06:49:03 PST 2003

Dear folks,
A couple of months ago I wrote to Mr. Dinwiddie with questions regarding the
Alberg 30.  He kindly suggested that I sign up to the public list, which of
course I did (Thanks Mr. Dinwiddie, that was a great suggestion).  The
letters have been very informative and often times delightfully humorous
too.  Well, after having followed this forum for a bit (and with some
nervous trepidation) I was hoping that I might ask you folks the same
questions.  I'm a former sailor who has been considering getting back into
it.  I'm lucky in that I recently moved to mid-coast Maine which is a great
place to sail.  The opportunity is hard to pass up if you know what I mean.
Anyway, originally I had asked questions about the suitability of the Alberg
30 to do local/medium distance cruising and how it compared to other vintage
craft of that era.  It would seem from what I've read that the boat is
certainly up to the task but...  My problem with a purchase, like so many
folks I suppose, is a shortage of cash.  To be completely honest it wasn't
so much that I had fallen in love with the Alberg 30 as it was searching for
an "affordable" boat that was designed and built to handle my perceived
needs.  The Alberg 30 is beautiful (love those side decks), was designed and
built well enough for the task (I think!), but (here we go) because of my
lack of experience with older vessels I had no idea that so much was
required in a restoration effort.  I've been reading about everything from
new seacocks, repowering, new mast compression supports, rewiring,
replumbing, to reattaching the deck (very daunting indeed).  I truly mean no
offense to those who consider these tasks a labor of love however, by the
time one does all of this plus the normal purchases like sails etc. it's
possible to have put almost enough into the restoration as the price of a
much newer vessel.  Forgive me if I don't seem worthy but could a few folks
offer up an opinion on this.  I feel up to the restoration task technically
but much over 20k total and I'm simply out of luck.  Factor in the reality
that I couldn't spend every weekend sailing, Maine summers don't last
forever, and I just can't justify spending more.  Would it be better to
charter once or twice a year or could I stay within a budget like that and
have a boat that is honestly seaworthy?  Thoughts please.

thank you,
jim williamson

Worried about inbox overload? Get MSN Extra Storage now!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es