[Alberg30] Backing an A 30...with a three bladed prop....Ha, hahah, Ha Ha,......er, welll

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Tue Dec 30 19:17:25 PST 2003

Oh boy Tim,

This season was our initiation to the A 30 as well. We LOVE our Stargazer,
and are very happy with her. But like all full keel boats, reverse is tricky.
With a three bladed prop, it's worse.

The first time I tried reverse was when the boat was being launched off the
hydraulic trailer on the launch ramp in our harbor. The boat and trailer were
backed into the water, and the trailer driver told me to start up the engine.
Once the engine was warm, he backed the trailer into the water a few more
inches, and Stargazer was afloat. 'Put her in Gear' he called out. I did. I thought
getting the boat away from the trailer quickly, before the wind could push
her to one side or the other, was important, so I worked the engine up to 12 or
1300 RPM. The boat's stern kicked to port (left handed Volvo), and I was
knocked off my feet by the tiller!!!!!

Stargazer continued a complete semicircle to port by the time I was able to
get to my feet and rev down the engine. I was able to get her going forward
just in time to prevent the rudder from hitting the ramp.

I didn't experiment with the reverse gear much for the rest of the season. We
sail off a mooring, and so there is not much need for reverse there. When
motoring up to a dock, I always used the wind as a brake, and motored up to the
dock slowly enough so that the way of the ship carried her just to the dock,
and we could stop her with the bumpers and docklines. If we had to leave a dock
and the wind or current direction was not favorable, I'd warp the boat around
with dock lines rather than rely on reverse. Over reaction? Yes, I'm sure, but
that was how we did it this season. Maybe next season I'll practice using the
reverse at low RPM.

When I was a kid, my dad had a 35' Sparkman and Stephens Weekender. What a
nice boat!! A real, traditional full keel cruising boat from the '30's. She had
a 25 HP GrayMarine gas engine, with an off center prop. To get the engine
further aft in the hull to get more cabin space, the shaft was sent through the
aft end of a plank, forward of the stern timber. It was also cheaper to build
the boat that way. The prop went out the stbd. side of the boat. Unless you
wanted to reverse to stbd, forget it!!!!!!!   Well, once the boat got some way on
to stbd, if the engine was reved down, the rudder could get her to back to
port, but you needed room to do the manuever.

I suppose the same trick will work for us, even more easily.

Can't wait till spring to try!!!!!!!!  :)
Lee
Stargazer #255