[Alberg30] Ramblings on Backing da Boat

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Wed Dec 31 08:12:29 PST 2003

Albergers;

I look forward to learning how to maneuver my new (to me) A30 with
anticipation and trepidation.  My Rhodes 19, with a high aspect centerboard
and spade rudder, is a dream to handle under outboard motor power; could
have
something to do with displacement of about 1/10 of the A30.  A few months
ago I was browsing the sailing section at Barnes & Noble and
found a pocket paperback on maneuvering boats under power. It covers
variety of situations including prop rotation, wind, current
dock orientation.  It's a quick read and I will definitely have it beside me
when I experiment with maneuvering under power next spring.  I will post the
title, author and publisher this weekend.

When I used to charter bigger boats in the Bay, I always asked whoever would
listen why and how people back sailboats into those funny slips.  The
response was usually something like ,"any way you can."  Our group would
charter boats in the 40' range and I would be the only sailor in a crew of
six.  During cocktails the night before returning the boat, I would attempt
to diagram everyone's role during the "slipping" maneuver.  Perhaps the most
difficult concept to convey was that the bow lines are retrieved from the
pilings at the stern of the boat.

The next day, with the finely tuned,
crack crew fully
briefed, we would motor into the harbor in search of the right slip.
Invariably the crew would end up on the fore deck chatting, looking at the
sights ("hey, look at the ducks, how cute") and having a grand old time with
no hint of skipper's inner panic exasperated by their inattentiveness.
Don't they know we are about try to make 22,000 pounds of moving object
perform the unnatural act of backing up between two pilings that (sure look
like they) aren't as far apart as the boat is wide.  While the rest of the
crew is partying on the bow, lonely skipper starts to shrink in fear and
apprehension.  That 30" wheel now feels like it is 72" with the top slightly
above eye level.  Anyway, a few kind words to the crew, some boathook
jousting (I think I will have two of those things on my A30) and some
aerobic exercise for the transmission and our troop of the Keystone Cops
eventually tie up the boat, sometimes even at the correct slip.

The only time I remember doing it absolutely perfectly was in a Nunsuch 26'
cat boat (talk about a 35 footer in 26') that was berthed directly below a
restaurant deck on the south shore of Spa Creek (it might have been the
Chart House).

(Sidebar;  I once stopped at a dock near the Chart House with a
friend to refuel his runabout.  We noticed a fairly large Donzi fishing boat
further up the dock with several people standing on the dock looking at the
boat.  I asked them what was so interesting.  Response; "See that rod holder
in the side deck with the rubber cap; well, the skipper thought that was the
fuel filler cap and just pumped 75 gallons of gasoline into the bilge."  I
immediately extinguished my cigarette (just kidding) and left feeling
grateful that my boating screw ups, at least so far, haven't come anywhere
near that level of incompetence.)

Back on Topic: By shear luck we backed in without incident and made fast as
if we could do it in our sleep.  Looking up at the crowded deck I expected
some approving glances, perhaps even applause, but not one person was even
looking at the water.  I guess they only look when we do the Keystone Cops
approach.

Happy New Year everypne,

Roger

Roger Kingsland
Chief Financial Officer (AKA, check writer)
Mahina Manu, A30 #148
N40°  29.288'
W79°  54.228'

Author's Disclaimer; This email was produced exclusively by the sender and,
in the interest of expediency, without the benefit of editing by others.
The sender, thank goodness, is a much better architect/sailor than
speller/editor and, frankly, constantly laments an obvious flaw in "spell
check," it does not know what the author is thinking.  Please accept the
sender's sincere apologies for any "typos" that may appear in this document.
If present, they are certainly unintended and hopefully do not cloud the
message, or spawn any unnecessary lawsuits.