[Alberg30] How do I back this boat?

Melissa Currier mcurrier at spinrx.com
Tue Dec 30 06:45:59 PST 2003

And the NUMBER ONE way to back up any boat is to turn your body around and
drive the stearn like the bow...
> Tim-
>
> I find that the best way to back my alberg is to maintain a flexible
> approach that allows me to change plans quickly depending on which way
> the stern decides to walk. I've concluded that if all other factors were
> irrelevant, the boat would consistently back to port based on the
> direction of propeller rotation and the inflow characteristics created
> by the rudder held on centerline. However, there are a number of other
> factors of relevance in determining which way the stern will walk. They
> include, but are not limited to the following:
>
> 1. Wind speed and direction
> 2. current speed and direction
> 3. fouling on hull, propeller, and rudder
> 4. Magnitude and direction of forces applied by line handlers in pushing
> the boat away from the dock.
> 5. Rudder angle.
>
> If you could come up with a consistent way to tell me in which direction
> and at what rate my boat would swing during backing, based on the above
> 5 factors, I will be amazed. Heck, if you could even give me a
> consistent method for resolving the above factors into one resultant
> force magnitude and direction, I'd be amazed. Until I see the method for
> doing that, I'm going to continue backing as if I'm not certain in which
> direction the boat will swing. It's worked pretty well up till now...
>
> Also, I find that the best way to do anything with my boat in proximity
> to the dock, other boats, or any solid objects of appreciable mass is
> VERY SLOWLY.
>
> Kind regards, and good luck getting accustomed to your boat's backing
> characteristics! I think it's more art than science, to be honest...
>
> J Bergquist
> "Calliope" #287

Ketch, Yawl, Schooner or Later,
Melissa Thompson Currier
Tel: 410-990-9855
Cell: 443-871-4602
I don't know about you, but my most insightful and profound thinking is
done under the influence of chocolate. My exclusive source for the "good
stuff"?  http://www.anstinescandy.com