[Alberg30] How do I back this boat?

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 31 17:18:51 PST 2003

For backing into a slip a couple tricks I use.  Since the boat swings to port when I start to back, I try to come in along the line of pilings (perpendicular to the slip) and at the correct moment turn hard right away from the slip.  At this point I back hard while keeping the rudder over for a right turn.  The prop walk continues my swing, kills forward motion and starts me into the slip.  If I have missjudged my approach I can go ahead and start over.  It is a matter of practice and getting used to your boat.  You might want to take an empty gallon jug and anchor it out in a creek to practice on.  Just manuver up to it in a bunch of different ways, foreward and backing.

Note I have a six foot bowsprit and unless there is a real long finger pier I have to back in.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei

Diplomats are just as essential is starting a war as soldiers are in finishing it.
-Will Rogers-