[Alberg30] How do I back this boat?

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Dec 31 06:53:37 PST 2003

Tim,

If the boat is backing to starboard, there's definitely something
else going on besides propwalk.

The propwalk makes the boat back to port and go forward to starboard.
That description always confuses me, however, so I just remember that
the bow wants to go to starboard, in either direction.  If I decide
to do things such that I want the boat to turn that way, I'm much
better off.

We once had a slip where we had to back in, and didn't have much
water for going past the slip.  We'd turn to starboard and then
shift to reverse, and the boat would pivot on the keel.  By the
time we were moving backwards, the boat was lined up with the slip.
We just shifted to neutral and drifted right into place.

At least, that's the way it worked if everything went right.  I
vaguely recall that being the case once.  The wind on the bow will
easily and quickly overpower the propwalk, and sometimes any other
force on the boat.

 - George

  I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  So many I love were not yet born.