[Alberg30] Dismasting of Matchmaker.

SwiftLaw at aol.com SwiftLaw at aol.com
Mon Dec 1 09:49:16 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/1/2003 10:12:15 AM Central Standard Time,
mainstay at csolve.net writes:
We do use the bolt but mainly to anchor the stainless steel bale that the
vang lands down on.  I don't imagine it adds anything to the security of the
rig... in fact it has occured to me that if the rig ever did go down the
presence of that bolt would make things worse by allowing the mast to want
to tear the step out of the deck on its way down.

Gord
#426 Surprise
Gord:
My yard guys here in Padanaram Harbor mentioned that exact sentiment as we
pulled the mast of #222  5 days ago. His concern was that the bolt is really not
strong enough to hold the entire rig in place, but probably enough to rip the
step off the deck. Leaving you not only dismasted but with a nice entry port
for green water. His advice to me was to not use it next season. Another
"Catch 22"  I guess. Maybe the best advice is to not go out if the weather will
spill the wine in the glasses or knock the cheese off the plate !

Tom Swift