[Alberg30] Re: barnacles on the prop

Robert Kirk isobar at cablespeed.com
Thu Feb 13 20:20:48 PST 2003

Gordon White wrote:
>    Of course I hear it said that putting an ounce of anti-mildew
>additive to a gallon of bottom paint does a world of good in keeping
>down barnacles.

Yes, it does. But be sure your mildewcide is Tributyltin (TBT). The other
housepaint mildewcide additives you can buy are more common, but worthless.
I was involved in some Navy research some years ago which made this pretty
clear. It's also good in holding down the scum or grass which grows on the
hull. Regular TBT bottom paint is forbidden for our type of boat, and
probably will soon disappear for the larger metal hulls, too.  But a $2
ounce of legal TBT house paint mildewcide will give better results than the
extra $20/gallon you'd pay for the new 'biocide' bottom paints.

I bought several of these a couple of years ago at Ace Hardware, and my
hull has been clean both years at haulout. I think the brand was "Di-All".
Hope it's still available.

Unfortunately, while it's great for the hull, I haven't found a way of
keeping it on the prop.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181

UPDATED: http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html