[Alberg30] 2GM versus 3GM Yanmars

Henry Sharpe henry_sharpe at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 16 13:59:27 PST 2003

I've got a 3GM replacing a Grey Marine Sea Scout in #111.  I have a MAX prop on it.  I'm very happy with the power, starting, economy, etc.  Locally, we have big tides and currents, some beyond A30 hull speed, so the marginal extra power can be welcome.  Some comments:  1) consider your prop/engine combination, 2) consider you drive shaft and packing gland as part of the package, 3) engine size diminished space available for insulation and filters (But the fit is fine.  I'm a big guy and can reach everything and crawl in on top as far as anyone would want to.), 4)  suggest putting in a large access plate in the cockpit sole, a much for light as for access.  (I put in about an 11" aluminium one from a surplus chandlery.)  5) fuel tank considerations ..... The original monel tank has adequate capacity for what I do with fuel docks pretty far apart.  It was cleaned and relocated to the centerline and transversely under the cockpit sole.  On a rought crossing of the Straits of J!
uan de Fuca, I lost power while pointing up to reef.  I have since wondered if the old and shallow tank with fuel sloshing and frothing about contributed to the incident. (Henry Sharpe #111, Bainbridge Island, WA)

UPDATED: http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html