[Alberg30] Bilge Restoration

Voyager Toronto voyagertoronto at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 27 12:00:49 PST 2003

I have a problem with the bilge bottom on Voyager. The narrow fibreglass
base of the bilge has broken away, and the marine concrete (that's what it
looks like) underneath is disintegrating from having been exposed to water
for a long time. The disintegration of the concrete reveals an encapsulated
wood member running forward--I presume into the iron keel.  I don't know
what the function of this wood piece is; I'm guessing there's another one
set into the forward end of the keel, and that they were used to help lift
the keel into place during assembly (this is a wild guess!). At any rate,
the bottom of the bilge at this point is a mass of disintegrating concrete
encapsulating this piece of wood. At the aftermost end of the bilge area,
the disintegration has gone real deep, down to the very hull.  I'm planning
to remove as much of the rotten concrete as possible, dry out the area,
re-pour concrete, and resheath with fibreglass. Can anyone help with info as
to:
a) Is this really concrete I'm looking at, and what's a suitable brand of
material to replace it with?
b) anyone know what this piece of wood is doing here?
c) Anything amiss with what I'm planning to do, or anything I should also
consider?

 |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents per foot     |
 | http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=25719 |