[Alberg30] anchor light wiring

Robert Kirk isobar at cablespeed.com
Tue Feb 11 16:16:16 PST 2003

At 11:07 AM 2/11/03 -0500, George Dinwiddie wrote:
>An Aqua Signal series 25 light uses 10 watts.  At 12 volts, that's a
>little less than 1 amp.  (watts = volts * amps)
>
>16 awg wire is about 4 ohms per 1000 feet.  The run from the electrical
>panel to the top of the mast and back is probably less than 100 feet as a
>guess.  So, the round-trip resistance would be about 0.4 ohms.  At one
>amp, that's a 0.4 volt voltage drop (volts = ohms * amps), or a 3-1/3%
>voltage drop.
>
>In reality, since the battery voltage is greater than 12 volts and the
>current draw is less than one amp, you'll be under the 3% voltage drop
>that's considered adequate for electronics, and considerably under the 10%
>voltage drop that's considered adequate for lamps.

George... I disagree. I'm pretty cavalier in using wire nuts, etc, but on
the other hand,  I believe you should always use heavy wire for all your
circuits. For simplicity & safety sake I wire everything at 12ga in the
boat (unless it needs more). It's much easier to buy one coil of fat wire
and use it for everything. Then you don't have to calculate every circuit
and have a big inventory of different sized wires. It saves time & worry.

16 is just too small to use,. It's not much more expensive to use 12ga and
it solves a lot of problems.

The ABYC says:

    Conductors used for electronic equipment, navigation lights or other
circuits where voltage drop should be kept to a minimum shall be sized for
a voltage drop not to exceed 3% (See Table C). Conductors used for lighting
(other than navigation lights) and other circuits where voltage drop in not
critical may be sized for a voltage drop no to exceed 10%.

It's always nice to measure 12V at the end of every circuit instead of
something quite a bit less.

  Here, I calculate your 16ga wiring gives a 3.3% voltage drop, or roughly
half a volt, which is more than recommended for navigation lights. [16ga;
100ft 2 way run; 12V; 1amp]

Wire is cheap and heavy 12ga wire takes up no more space and gives piece of
mind. Don't forget you're going to lose some voltage in the connections in
addition to the wire itself.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181

UPDATED: http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html