[Alberg30] anchor light wiring

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Feb 11 17:20:32 PST 2003

OK, Bob.  Disagree.  But notice that 10 watts is not really 1 amp at 12
volts, it's 0.8333... amps, I just didn't bother to pull out the
calculator before.  So it's within the 3% guidelines you quote.  You're
probably dropping more voltage with your wire-nuts than your wire.  And
the ABYC says a definite "no" to wire-nuts.  But if you feel better
putting more weight up your mast, go right ahead.

  - George

Robert Kirk wrote:
> At 11:07 AM 2/11/03 -0500, George Dinwiddie wrote:
>
>> An Aqua Signal series 25 light uses 10 watts.  At 12 volts, that's a
>> little less than 1 amp.  (watts = volts * amps)
>>
>> 16 awg wire is about 4 ohms per 1000 feet.  The run from the
>> electrical panel to the top of the mast and back is probably less than
>> 100 feet as a guess.  So, the round-trip resistance would be about 0.4
>> ohms.  At one amp, that's a 0.4 volt voltage drop (volts = ohms *
>> amps), or a 3-1/3% voltage drop.
>>
>> In reality, since the battery voltage is greater than 12 volts and the
>> current draw is less than one amp, you'll be under the 3% voltage drop
>> that's considered adequate for electronics, and considerably under the
>> 10% voltage drop that's considered adequate for lamps.
>

> George... I disagree. I'm pretty cavalier in using wire nuts, etc, but
> on the other hand,  I believe you should always use heavy wire for all
> your circuits. For simplicity & safety sake I wire everything at 12ga in
> the boat (unless it needs more). It's much easier to buy one coil of fat
> wire and use it for everything. Then you don't have to calculate every
> circuit and have a big inventory of different sized wires. It saves time
> & worry.
>
> 16 is just too small to use,. It's not much more expensive to use 12ga
> and it solves a lot of problems.
>
> The ABYC says:
>
>    Conductors used for electronic equipment, navigation lights or other
> circuits where voltage drop should be kept to a minimum shall be sized
> for a voltage drop not to exceed 3% (See Table C). Conductors used for
> lighting (other than navigation lights) and other circuits where voltage
> drop in not critical may be sized for a voltage drop no to exceed 10%.
>
> It's always nice to measure 12V at the end of every circuit instead of
> something quite a bit less.
>
>  Here, I calculate your 16ga wiring gives a 3.3% voltage drop, or
> roughly half a volt, which is more than recommended for navigation
> lights. [16ga; 100ft 2 way run; 12V; 1amp]
>
> Wire is cheap and heavy 12ga wire takes up no more space and gives piece
> of mind. Don't forget you're going to lose some voltage in the
> connections in addition to the wire itself.
>
> Bob Kirk
> Isobar #181
   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

UPDATED: http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html