[Alberg30] When to use polyester and not

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Wed Feb 19 21:01:56 PST 2003

Stephen,

Whether or not epoxy provides more work time depends on the
resin/catalyst combination you use.  The pot life of polyester can be
varied somewhat by varying the amount of catalyst--not so with epoxy.
Both resin pot life is affected by temperature--the hotter the quicker
they kick.

Neither resin is particularly strong by itself.  It's the reinforcement
(generally glass fibers) that provides the strength.  The resin provides
the rigidity.  With either resin, using the least amount of resin that
completely wets out the glass will provide the strongest laminate for
the weight.

I like epoxy, too, but I don't think it's the best choice in all situations.

  - George

sousa, stephen (ENG) wrote:
> Greg,
>
> I have used both and like epoxy. The expoxy provides more work time and also
> is a stronger product.
>
> Stephen

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

UPDATED: http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html