[Alberg30] America's Cup race 4

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Thu Feb 20 10:58:26 PST 2003

  CB-

Interesting points.

However, being on the RC is a tough, and often thankless job, in the
case of SSA and our Alberg association usually done by people who would
rather be sailing than sitting on the committee boat. I know I would
rather be out racing in the 5o5 ECC regatta on June 21 and 22 this year,
but instead I'm going to be on the RC...because it's what we have to do
from time to time...

At the IC midwinters 2 weekends ago, they canceled one race because the
wind died, and it was, IMHO, a good decision, because the leaders were
using kinetics to the point of simply rocking the boat and going. In
that race, there had been 2 180 degree wind shifts, and then finally it
died. Thankfully, they canceled, just as the leaders pumped and rocked
their way to the finish. I don't think anybody thought the race was a
measure of sailors' ability to analyze wind, current, and boat, but
rather a question of how much kinetics you could get away with before
somebody yelled at you. Eventually we all just pumped and rocked into
the bulkhead and grabbed some soup. It filled in 15 minutes later, and
we got 9 total races in that day.

Light and fluky IS a test of sailors' ability, but sometimes it makes
sense to call a race. Maybe I just think that because I was deep in the
fleet, though...

Since we're talking about this, I have a great quote I'd like to share:

"The America's cup is not what sailing is about. Sailing is kids in Opti's."

   -Ali Meller

So, because the 5-minute floating average windspeed is not between 8 and
22 knots, the America's cup has been canceled once again. In lieu of
that programming, we at ESPN are pleased to bring you the final day of
fleet racing in the Junior Optimist Nationals...

that'll be the day...

Calliope #287

UPDATED: http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html