[Alberg30] Disposable boats

Gordon LACO mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Feb 28 05:37:37 PST 2003

on 2/27/03 10:47 PM, Bill Blevins at billblevins at mac.com wrote:

> Welcome to the Internet!
>
> FYI - It's on TV tonight at midnight for everyone with espn2.
>
> Bill
>
> --
>

> On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 10:36PM, George Dinwiddie
> <gdinwiddie at alberg30.org> wrote:
>
>> It hasn't even shown on TV, yet, and you gave away the punch line.
>>
>> James Davis wrote:
>>> What next?
>>>
>>> From http://americascup.yahoo.com
>>>
>>> Team New Zealand's Mast Breaks
>>> 28/02/2003
>>>
>>> NZL-82 was sailing up the second beat when the mast broke.
>>>

>>> Jim Davis
>>> S/V Isa Lei
>>> CT 35
>>
>> --
>> Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
>> May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>> with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
>> you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
>> from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy
>>

>> +============================================================================
>> ==========+
>> |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents per
>> foot     |
>> |
>> http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pi
>> d=25719 |
>>

> +=============================================================================
> =========+
> |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents per
> foot     |
> |
> http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid
> =25719 |

Okay guys - discipline!

Please, don't spill the beans tonight!  This is the big race, I don't want
to know any details before it's on TV at midnight here!

What a disaster for NZ.

I can put up with the general fragility of the ACC boats compared to
"normal" yachts - expecting them to handle heavy weather is like putting a
Formula 1 car in a cross-country desert rally - they just are not intended
to get beat up.   However, it is dissapointing to the see NZ's fragility
compared to Alinghi.

I wonder if politics in the NZ team got in the way of decision making - both
in gear choices and crew.   Interesting that NZ has been criticized for not
going through as harsh a working up period.  Interesting also that such a
large group of NZ sailors went over to the Swiss boat - yes they are being
paid well, but how did they get surplused from their own teams?  Interesting
stuff.

The looks on the faces of the guys in Alinghi were interesting - nobody
wants to win that way.  For a second I wondered if they would not complete
the race and retire rather than take the easy win - but of course with such
momentum of backers etc they had to continue.

Well, there's a long message from me.

Gord
#426 Surprise