[Alberg30] Disposable boats

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Fri Feb 28 06:54:51 PST 2003

Yes I second Gord's request, please:

"Okay guys - discipline! Please, don't spill the beans tonight!  This is the
big race, I don't want
to know any details before it's on TV at midnight here!
What a disaster for NZ."

I would like to see them win one at least. I think they suffered badly with
the
murder of Sir Peter Blake and don't have the funding. If they could hold the
boat together they can be competitive ... oh well.

They are up against a juggernaught and kudos' to Alinghi's team - they are
at the top of the game. No shame in losing to the best, just sad that the
boat can't take it and they're going down that way.

"Going down "... oh god I hope not next.

Cheers,

John Birch, Sunstone

> >> It hasn't even shown on TV, yet, and you gave away the punch line.

> > Include command "unsubscribe <password>" in subject or body.
> > Use command "help" for more options.
> >
> Okay guys - discipline!
>
> Please, don't spill the beans tonight!  This is the big race, I don't want
> to know any details before it's on TV at midnight here!
>
> What a disaster for NZ.
>
> I can put up with the general fragility of the ACC boats compared to
> "normal" yachts - expecting them to handle heavy weather is like putting a
> Formula 1 car in a cross-country desert rally - they just are not intended
> to get beat up.   However, it is dissapointing to the see NZ's fragility
> compared to Alinghi.
>
> I wonder if politics in the NZ team got in the way of decision making -
both
> in gear choices and crew.   Interesting that NZ has been criticized for
not
> going through as harsh a working up period.  Interesting also that such a
> large group of NZ sailors went over to the Swiss boat - yes they are being
> paid well, but how did they get surplused from their own teams?
Interesting
> stuff.
>
> The looks on the faces of the guys in Alinghi were interesting - nobody
> wants to win that way.  For a second I wondered if they would not complete
> the race and retire rather than take the easy win - but of course with
such
> momentum of backers etc they had to continue.
>
> Well, there's a long message from me.
>
> Gord
> #426 Surprise

 |     New England Ropes on Sale;  EXAMPLE: 1/2 inch Sta-Set only 51 cents per foot     |
 | http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066&p=store/item.cfm?pid=25719 |