[Alberg30] A$ and Diesels

James Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 8 17:34:15 PST 2003

Let me start by saying the A4 is probably the best small gas marine engine that has been made.  But bear in mind the youngest one alive can buy a drink in any bar in the Union.  If/when the decision time comes be very cold blooded.  I have rebuilt several and it isn't rocket science.  Anyone that knows which end of the screwdriver fits in the hand can do it, if they have the patience for the job.  However after all these decades the cast iron is getting soft and bolt holes often need being redone.  The cylinder walls are also getting thinner.

If the engine can be reasonably reworked, fine.  Do it and get a few more years out of it.  If you are in doubt, check prices on a commercially rebuilt A4 and at the same time price a couple ~18 horse diesels.  Then make a choice.

I personally would not turn down a boat with a fair condition A4, but when the time comes I would not buy a gas replacement.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
CT 35

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange, one of
my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html