[Alberg30] Mast Step

Randy Weatherspoon rlwspoon at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 13 23:54:17 PST 2003

I have been working the problem for some time.  One key aspect is the need
for a stable A-Frame similar to the one used by the association - see manta
section-- this is also what Yves had jury-rigged for his repair-- ( in some
areas like the petroleum industry where drilling rigs were once put
together with "Ginpole --trucks"  now they use cranes except on the smaller
rigs- this was a common practice)-----with out the Ginpole - (and I don't
have the exact number from my notes) the horizontal force at the step or
shear would be very large. The other element to be considered is that you
have a 35' lever that if it gets out of alignment will destroy the mast
step and cabin top very quickly. So a single pole is very dangerous i.e.
using a spinnaker pole unless it is very calm - the boat is out of the
water and you have a lot of knowledgeable help------!  It can be done if
properly guyed--

But in a pre hurricane scenario there is not a lot of time or help so the
need to do this single-handedly is critical and in conditions different
than outlined above.

While at the Coconut Grove Yacht Club a few weeks ago I saw a perfect
implementation -- the boat was originally owned by a man who was a
machinist and had fabricated the whole thing -- the boat ( a Choey Lee
35'-40') is on a mooring so I will try to get some pictures to post.

I am also doing a comparative study of engine replacements for my A4 and
would be willing to post but do not know how to post an Excel spread sheet
?? I am looking at Yanmar,Westerbeke,Universal,Beta -- and comparing to the
A4 spec --- looking mainly at three things--Hp, compatible dimensions for
installation, and eas of service i.e. access to filters etc.  -- this
should be ready in a few days and would welcome comment --- if you would
like to get it and we can't post--contact me directly.

Randy Weatherspoon #385

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html