[Alberg30] Diesel replacement

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Wed Jan 8 05:23:33 PST 2003

Michael-

Do you crank your diesel by hand?

I am very intrigued as to how it gets started independent of any
electrical input...

Also, as far as bluewater cruising with a gas or diesel engine goes, I
believe Yves Gelinas circumnavigated with no engine at all...

I am curious... What is the range, in terms of hours at 5 knots in calm
water (since if it's rough, I'll assume you're sailing) for most of you
folks with diesel engines? I mean could you motor through the Pacific High?

J Bergquist
Calliope #287

schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com wrote:

>>Do you know anyone running a 30-year-old diesel engine?
>>

>Oh, yes.  I suspect that what kills most sail auxillary engines is not the
>running, but the being stopped for long periods
>
>What I like about diesel in particular, is it (mine, anyway) can be started
>and operated independant of any electrical input. I'm willing to bet most
>repairs done underway on an A4 relate to it's electrical system.
>
>Keep clean fuel running through a diesel, and they are like energizer
>bunnies.
>
>Michael

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange, one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html