[Alberg30] Diesel replacement

Bob Chambers BlueDolphin at rivnet.net
Wed Jan 8 06:41:43 PST 2003

George said "Do you know anyone running a 30-year-old diesel engine?"

Yes, and mine has been runing for some 27 as I speak.

First, this thread is in no way trying to speak against or put down the A4.
It is a great gasoline engine and is all everyone has said.

One of the reasons you do not hear much about diesels being repaired
underway is that they seldom fail underway.  Clean fuel to it and regular
oil changes and a diesel will keep purring for a long long time.  Yes I said
purring, with a proper exhaust, a diesel is not that loud or noisy, yeah
yeah, it is likely louder and noiser than the A4, but not significantly
enough.  I have nearly 11,000 hours on my Ford-Lehman (not related to Mike I
don't believe) and the guy who built it and still provides service to them
believes 40,000 hours is not out of the question.  In five years of cruising
to the Bahamas, I have not once come across someone whose diesel failed
them.  I have myself towed and heard of numerous other towings of gasoline
powered craft.

As I said when I started this, the A4 is a great gasoline engine, but
diesels ARE NOT an aggravation.

Bob Chambers

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange, one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html