[Alberg30] Diesel replacement

dickdurk at intercom.net dickdurk at intercom.net
Wed Jan 8 18:25:48 PST 2003

Decorum prevents me from starting this sea story in the traditional manner,
but...

I was once involved in a hawser contest between a bulldozer ( I don't know what
kind exactly, but a big Cat) and a harbor tug. The Bulldozer operator ended up
getting his feet wet. He was pretty excited towards the end of the contest,
too, jumping up and down and stuff.

3200 HP translated into 65 tons bollard pull on the Philip K. It's a scale of
power the average guy on the beach doesn't comprehend, at least until it's too
late. LOL

Michael

> I used to be a rep for British Seagull outboards.... I had one myself and
> loved it.  One day a buddy with a similar boat and "modern" outboard
> challenged me to a tug of war.  I figured I would drag him all over with my
> slow turning 11" diameter five bladed high torque well pitched large area
> deep in the water low rpm tried and true much beloved and legendary 'Gull;
> all he had was a two cylinder 5hp Johnson short shaft with a silly little
> buzzing prop.
>
> The results surprised him as much as I and I would lie and claim that I won
> but b*****d took photos of my boat at the end of the towline with a foaming
> bow wave at the stern.
>
> Our next outboard was a Honda 5 which was marvelous. In our wooden boat days
> we often cruised with friends in wooden boat ghettos... there was not one of
> them who had an inboard (gas or diesel) that we did not end up towing at
> some point.  But off course they were all usually ancient engines.
>
> Gord
>
> #426 Surprise

This message was sent using Delmarva Online's Webmail.
http://www.dmv.com/

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange, one of
my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html