[Alberg30] Diesel replacement

Gordon LACO mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Jan 8 14:14:22 PST 2003

on 1/8/03 4:35 PM, chrishardy at chrishardy at tds.net wrote:

> I think a fun event would be a pull off come one come all... next summer
> down in the bay A-4 against all diesels turning identical props hook em
> up transom to transom and open the throttles lets settle this gas vs
> diesel thing!!! ha ha  we do it up here in the mud with jeeps its fun
> and usually breaks things

Hi all,

I used to be a rep for British Seagull outboards.... I had one myself and
loved it.  One day a buddy with a similar boat and "modern" outboard
challenged me to a tug of war.  I figured I would drag him all over with my
slow turning 11" diameter five bladed high torque well pitched large area
deep in the water low rpm tried and true much beloved and legendary 'Gull;
all he had was a two cylinder 5hp Johnson short shaft with a silly little
buzzing prop.

The results surprised him as much as I and I would lie and claim that I won
but b*****d took photos of my boat at the end of the towline with a foaming
bow wave at the stern.

Our next outboard was a Honda 5 which was marvelous. In our wooden boat days
we often cruised with friends in wooden boat ghettos... there was not one of
them who had an inboard (gas or diesel) that we did not end up towing at
some point.  But off course they were all usually ancient engines.

Gord

#426 Surprise

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange, one of
my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html