[Alberg30] Diesel Replacement

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Fri Jan 10 16:00:56 PST 2003

>Are there any raw-water cooled diesel auxiliaries?  I thought
>they always had heat exchangers,

My Yanmar 2QM 15 is sea water cooled-I think that is standard factory issue.

I have a Sen Dure bolt on accessory for it that makes it fresh water cooled,
but had problems with that installation, so removed it. I may reinstall it
with guages to show what's going on throughout the system, but for now,
flush the engine with fresh water after use using a T/ball valve installed
at the seawater intake. I'm mostly satisfied with that compromise-but
it's pretty fresh where the boat lives nowadays anyway.  I guess you know
that, George ;-)

BTW, I put the ball valve there to judge it's dependability, and so far it
is an excellent valve. It's been in place 10 years or more.

>diesel's wouldn't run at all well at cool temperatures.

I've replaced the idiot system on the Yanmar with a guage-it rarely
registers above 120 F. That reading may be because of it's location on the
head-I'm still working on that one, but the engine definately runs cool, and
runs well (i.e no smoking, and no condensation in the oil) .

Michael

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html