[Alberg30] wefax

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Thu Jan 23 10:42:13 PST 2003

It's been awhile since I done anything about weatherfax, but I was
successful using a Sangean portable and a simple zero-crossing detector
about 8 or 10 years ago.  The tuning was pretty critical.  A
zero-crossing detector is also very sensitive to noise--I'd think that a
soundcard interface should be more forgiving.  I set the bandwidth as
narrow as possible to reduce interference.  Portable SSB receivers tend
not to have good rejection of adjacent frequencies.

You might want to check http://www.hffax.de/ as Marius Rensen has long
been one of the experts in this.  Anyway, there's a lot of information
on his site.

  - George

chrishardy wrote:
> I am currently fooling around with receiving weather fax images on my
> I-Book laptop computer using weathermaq software,and a grundig yachtboy
> ssb receiver. So far the images are too fuzzy to use but that is a
> function of my radio reception If anyone has a real ssb receiver I'm
> sure they would be great . The software is inexpensive and so easy to
> use hooking the earphone jack directly to the Mac. If anyone is
> interested I will put together a list of all the parts and pieces to
> make it work. I haven't given up on the Yachtboy yet I just need to mess
> with my antenna.

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy

Looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book?  Or just any book, but
looking for a good deal on a used book?  Check the Advanced Book Exchange,
one of my personal favorite online stores!
http://alberg30.org/store/AbeBooks.html