[Alberg30] Sail area

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Tue Jul 15 07:58:47 PDT 2003

I believe the normal way to calcuate the sail area is with a 100% jib
plus the main. That means that the jib is 189 and the main is 221. That
gives you 410 sq ft.  The class rules allow one to use a jib larger than
100%. The calculation is Base x height/2 for both of the sails.

>>> schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com 07/12/03 09:58PM >>>
In preparing to figure out exactly what I want in ordering a new #2
Genoa,
I've already hit a snag.
Is my math that inept, or does anyone have an explanation why the
design
sail area is 410 sq.ft. but the max sail area allowed by class rules
for
main and jib is 352.84 sq.ft- 220.875sq.ft.and 131.968sq.ft.
respectively.
I don't mind allowing for some 'Kentucky Windage', but 57 sq.ft.+seems
little excessive.

I was hoping to figure out the mathematical overlap of the #1 genoa-I
think
someone who's abilities I respect once figured it to be 163%, but now
I'm
doubting my own ability to come up with any sort of meaningful guide.

Thanks
Michael