[Alberg30] Sail area

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Wed Jul 23 08:34:58 PDT 2003

It is my understanding that the measurements are for the distance from
the stem (10.5) to the mast and the height of the mast(36). That will
give you 189 sq ft. I do not know that real jibs are right angle
triangles. I believe that if you want a 150% genoa, you just multiply
the 189 by 1.5. The real decision you have to make is where you want the
clew on the genoa. if you chose a high cut clue, you will still get 150%
of the jib area, but the sail will not be a right triangle. I would
guess that ordinarily genoas do not have right triangles - mine does
not. I think a next thing is to discuss with your sail maker whether
what your goals with the new genoa are. If you want to keep the sail off
the deck to improve visibility, a higher clew would be in order. If you
race, they other issues become very important. I think your sail maker
should be able to give good advice. If not, he/she would become suspect
in my mind. Sorry to take a few days to get back to you - I am not in
the office every day in the summer.That is one of the nice things about
college teaching. There really is time for sailing.

>>> schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com 07/15/03 06:00PM >>>

Thanks for the reply Dave; I'm encouraged my calculations for the main
are
in line with your figures.

About the jib, though-do you have the foot and luff measurements
readily
available? There are max. dimensions for the jib listed in the
handbook-those are the figures I used. I don't remember them being
there
when I had a jib made many years ago, but there it is

Also, I don't think luff X foot/2=sail area will work for genoas. I
think
that formula requires a right angle, and there aren't any on Genoas.
Gotta
use all that tangent and sin business. Or, do what the mathematically
challanged do; lay the sail out on the grass, make a right angle with
tape measure down the middle of the sail, and add the two areas
together.
At least, I think that will work...

One step at a time
Thanks again