[Alberg30] Butane - Propane - Alcohol Stoves.

Maggie Ross nauticallyyours-maggie at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 25 15:14:28 PDT 2003

John wrote:
>Heavier than air - like propane - if it collects in the bilge - boom
Use same safety criteria as for propane.

It is our understanding that Butane is lighter than Propane, therefore it rises rather than filling the bilge like Propane. Cautions should always be taken with all fuels.

Our Butane stove is also a portable single burner with the aerosol type can.

We have a propane barbecue on the transom with which we do as much cooking and baking as possible, but will not have propane inside the boat. Seen too much carnage.

The Origo single burner is non-pressurized and is probably the safest type of stove as long as you follow the instructions and don't over-fill it. It cooks beautifully with a heat defuser. In previous boats we have had the pressurized alcohol, kerosene and diesel but like this Origo is better.

Maggie.
Strathgowan, #400