[Alberg30] Hull color

Neal Jackson NJackson at npr.org
Wed Jul 23 07:43:13 PDT 2003

Welcome to Albergland.  You will love it.

Our boat, PEREGRINE (Hull 486), makes port on the Chesapeake Bay.  Summer on
the Chesapeake can be damn hot and equally humid.  The Gulf Coast may be
hotter, but only marginally (my summertime experience there has been in
NOLA).

Three years ago we had her hull repainted from white to Flag Blue, sometimes
informally called Hinckley Blue, because it is best known as the hull color
of many Hinckleys (it is quite dark).  I was prepared for some greater cabin
heat,  However,  I cannot detect any.  Frankly the cabin of the Alberg is
not the best ventilated anyway, so ours got hot when the hull was white.  I
think the real answer is that most of the solar-generated cabin heat comes
through the cabin and deck structures, which remain white on our boat and
presumably will on yours.

So I don't think you will notice a difference if you select a darker color.
And I think it really looks sharp.

Neal Jackson