[Alberg30] (Paint) Sabrina #158

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Thu Jul 24 04:00:09 PDT 2003

Checkmate has had her hull painted black for about 20 years now-applied by
brush, I've done the job twice. The linear urethane I use (polythane)
retains gloss so well I repaint when it looks like it needs to be waxed,
eliminating wax removal problems when it does becomes time to paint. Black
is The most critical color for prep work on the hull

The gold for the boot and cove has become an issue. The marine paint
manufacturers have stopped making the deep gold I like-the pigment is really
bronze, I think. The new color is more yellow than anything else. I go to
Sherwin-Williams and use sign painter gold leaf. It does discolor over time,
but buffs up nicely . Surface oxidation of the copper, I suppose.

I use Brightside for the deck. The first coat, I mix in the non skid and
paint just the original check nonskid (mine had become hazardous) final
coats do the whole deck (I use flattening agent ). Not having the whole deck
nonskidded makes washing down easier.

I've got the formulas I use for adding nonskid and flattening agent written
down somewhere, I think I use a little less than manufacturers
recommendations. I'll get them for you if interested. The nonskid makes a
huge difference if your decks are anything like mine were. I woulden't wait.

Michael