[Alberg30] (Paint) Sabrina #158

RC Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Wed Jul 23 18:25:41 PDT 2003

Bill:  I used a one part for the deck, with a relatively small amount of
grit, when I painted a year ago.  My intent was to provide some "tooth"
without over doing it--and I think I was sucessful.  The only real
difference between one part and a two part for decks is that the 1 part is
(relatively) softer, so, in theory, you will repaint more often--say, once
every eight years or so.  You will have to paint additional coats in heavy
wear areas with 1 part paints. The payoff is that, when you do repaint or
touch up, it is relatively easier to repaint because it is relatively
softer.  I taped off the areas without non-skid and did them first, without
grit, and then retaped and did the nonskid areas.  Two coats minimum. I
would use three or four in heavy wear areas.

I would also experiment with a flattener to remove gloss. The glare caused
by some paints in bright sunlight can be downright painful.

You are welcome to come up and look at how the paint job has held up after a
year.

Rob Alley