[Alberg30] Disassembly Merriman winch

Kathy O'Neill kroneill at icehouse.net
Wed Jun 4 20:54:13 PDT 2003

Scott: Thanks for the link to RigRIte.  Unfortunately there is nothing like a split ring on these winches.  They have a several mm diameter oil hole through the top middle of the square ratchet post that has "oil" next to it.  Attempts to get a "bite" of something down the hole with allen wrenches or pins are unsuccessful.  In the recessed area in the center of the winch drum top there is a small 2.5 mm diameter 5 mm long coarse threaded set screw which screws in flush with the bottom of the recessed part of the ratchet cavity. Unfortunately the same seems to hold true with it..no obvious allen wrench fitting or anything else down the hole to get a hold of or lock into (this was my #1 guess as to how to lock the drum for disassembly). If you run across anything else please let me know.