[Alberg30] Disassembly Merriman winch

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Thu Jun 5 03:17:33 PDT 2003

Hi Kathy,

My "new" 1962 Rhodes Meridian has the Merriman winches, too, and mine need to be overhauled or at least cleaned and lubed, too!  As soon as my boat gets to Cincinnati from FLorida, I will go out and figure out what is holding the drum on and let you know.  Don Casey's book, Good Old Boat, has a section on winch cleaning and lubricating.  These old Merriman winches were probably undersized by today's standards, but I have always found them to serve well.  They were quite well made and if you consider how long of service they have given, it has been pretty darn good!

The course threaded set-screw at the bottom of the recess; did you manage to remove it? If you had, and the drum didn't come off, you could try removing the setscrew again and GENTLY tapping the winch drum with a hammer handle or wood block and hammer to see if it might be stuck from not having been off in many years...

Thanks,

Scott