[Alberg30] Top Mast Sheave

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Jun 8 06:36:09 PDT 2003

Randy Weatherspoon wrote:
> Does anyone know the best way to get the aluminum sheave out at the
> top of the mast?

I've not done it, but I think that wrapping the sheave with a piece of
line (for a handle) and then removing the bolt through the center should
work.  I don't know if there are other pieces to catch.

> All of the screws in the mid rudder gudgeon have disintegrated --
> does anyone know the size, thread, and the best way to replace? There
> are also some small cracks leading away from the corners of the
> gudgeon  --  thoughts on repairs

If they're original, I'd bet they were 1/4-20 flat-head machine screws,
probably 1 inch long.  That's a hunch based on the rudder shoe.

If they're still holding the gudgeon on, perhaps you can drill a line of
holes to turn into a new slot for a screwdriver.  If you can pull the
gudgeon off over the head, maybe there's enough left to grab with
vice-grips.

There'll be fairing putty around the gudgeon.  That's probably what's
cracked.  You'll want to chip that out, anyway.  After you put the
gudgeon back on, fair it with some epoxy mixed with microlight to a
stiff peanut-butter consistency.

  - George

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy