[Alberg30] Sally Ship

Robert Kirk isobar at cablespeed.com
Sun Jun 8 17:47:03 PDT 2003

George Dinwiddie wrote:
>>As I recall, the period was 13 seconds which translated to the old girl
>>still having pretty good stability. The longer (slower) the period, the
>>more unstable a given ship is for its size. (Obviously, if it doesn't
>>come back up the period is infinite. But that's another problem.)
>
>Thirteen seconds seems pretty fast for running across a destroyer deck and
>back.

No problem; my old destroyer's maximum beam was 13 yards, so there was
plenty of time to get across. The worst problem was trying to get a hundred
sailors to run across the narrow space in the bow, stern and midships
without elbowing each other in the ribs or knocking their friends down,
accidently. I did mention "Chinese fire drill."

>>I wonder what an Alberg's period is? Much shorter, of course. Maybe at
>>the next raftup we can have a contest. The shortest period boat has the
>>least weight aloft.
>
>I've never timed it, but that's one of my first responses when
>aground.  Running from shroud to shroud and leaning out can rock the boat
>enough to lift the keel off the bottom.  If the engine is in reverse at
>the time, you can back off.

A proper martinet of a skipper would have his wife do the running back and
forth while he did the supervising.

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181