[Alberg30] Sally Ship

Amy & David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 8 18:05:35 PDT 2003

Hi -

I wraote a paper for a history a couple of years ago about a 17th century
Swedish warship called the Vasa, which sank on its maiden voyage.  The ship
was top heavy, and when the first gust of wind hit her, over she went.

Anway, one interesting thing I learned was that the standard test for
stability back then was to have 100 men run back and fourth across theship
three times.  The test was cancelled after one round on the Vasa because it
appeared it would capsize.  I am amazed to hear that modern warships undergo
testing thesame way.

The ship was raised in the 1950's, and articles appear occasionally in
National Geographic & Wooden Boat about her.

David Swanson
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229