[Alberg30] Sally Ship

Robert Kirk isobar at cablespeed.com
Mon Jun 9 11:20:41 PDT 2003

Amy & David Swanson wrote:

>I wraote a paper for a history a couple of years ago about a 17th century
>Swedish warship called the Vasa, which sank on its maiden voyage.  The ship
>was top heavy, and when the first gust of wind hit her, over she went.
>
>Anway, one interesting thing I learned was that the standard test for
>stability back then was to have 100 men run back and fourth across theship
>three times.  The test was cancelled after one round on the Vasa because it
>appeared it would capsize.  I am amazed to hear that modern warships undergo
>testing thesame way.

Sorry if I gave the impression that sallying ship was a standard operation
with modern warships. It's a perfectly legitimate way of estimating your
metacentric height (stability) with a straightforward equation, but as far
as I know, it's not generally done anymore. I did it more for
the  challenge and with the blessing of an impish skipper.

The usual stability measurement is called an "inclining experiment" and
generally done only on the first ship of a class to get a baseline.
Sometimes it's done after an extensive overhaul with lots of gear replaced,
but not always, if time & money are short. Naval ships are held to a pretty
strict "class rule" where you can't make alterations without the direction
of the Bureau of Ships (called a SHIPALT) and you have to report back to
them when it's done. There's a little lady in the basement of the Bureau
who keeps a spreadsheet on each ship and records the changes and calculates
its new stability values after each change and warns the Admiral if a ship
is approaching its minimum stability.

The inclining experiment is done much like Gordon's description about HMS
Tecumseth. In the Navy's case  they substitute massive multi-ton weights
instead of weighing a bunch of sailors, but the principle's the
same.  Which makes me wonder how or if they do an inclining experiment with
an aircraft carrier. They'd need a couple of thousand tons of weights.
Maybe they do something else?

Bob Kirk
Isobar #181