[Alberg30] Re: galvanized

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Tue Mar 25 16:26:39 PST 2003

   Well, regarding the galvanized pipe, once burned, twice shy. I have
had other boats that had bronze or cast iron in the exhaust system that
lasted for many, many years. The piece that failed of course looked o.k.
from the outside but it eroded from within. (no surprise.)  As it was
just downstream from the water injection fitting it had hot salt water
and corrosive exhaust gas working on it. It is easy to say replace
exhaust fittings every five years but I doubt many folks do that.
    The failed piece was a street elbow right out of a local hardware
store. It was NOT automotive stuff.  I feel it is worth the $20 or so I
paid to replace it with bronze.

- Gordon White