[Alberg30] Bow Rollers

Lincoln Finkenberg (Home) lfinkenberg at nyc.rr.com
Tue Mar 25 18:50:29 PST 2003

It seems like the season for bow rollers. I had to remove the old one -
which looked just like the one on the alberg webcite - but the one on
Gypsy was made from pressure treated pine and held together with
severely rusted bolts and was gonna fail soon.  I used the old one as a
mold - but I made the new one a lot thicker - it is two pieces of 4x4x24
of mahogany. I'm waiting for two locking bow chocks to arrive that I
will place on either side of the roller (not on top) located above the
chain plate at approximately a 45 degree diagonal from top to bottom to
accept the mooring lines.  As far as aesthetics - originally I was going
to slice the thickness in half - but I just couldn't - I really liked
the look of the thickness.  Mahogany planes incredibly easy - literally
within minutes you can plane the corners into beautiful curves - which
adds to the look and feel. My hope in this design is to have a practical
safe design that isn't obtrusive in the sense that it draws the eye
immediately when admiring the boat.

Link, Gypsy #138, Oyster Bay.