[Alberg30] Deck Pipe installation

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 4 13:15:55 PST 2003

I replaced the original round one with an oval one like the one offered here
at sailnet.com:

http://www.sailnet.com/store/item.cfm?pid=17945

I really like the hinged idea because it is one less piece to lose overboard
and it stays open easily.

Process:

Trace the fitting onto the deck
Use a sabresaw or dremmel tool to cut out the opening. (A sabresaw would be
difficult to use since the space is so limited).
Dry fit the deck pipe and drill one hole at a time putting a bolt into each
hole as it is drilled to keep it in alignment.
For the final installation, use a good marine bedding compound (Rule
Elastomeric, of Boat Life, or 3M 101) and apply a liberal bead of caulking
to the fitting and put the fitting in place. Tighten the screws and remove
the excess caulking with a paper towel and maybe some acetone if necessary.

I have never had or heard the chain banging around in the forepeack and have
sail through some pretty nasty sh*t. After 30 years, there is no evidence of
any damage from this occuring either.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505