[Alberg30] cockpit coamings

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Mon Mar 10 15:38:57 PST 2003

Thanks to everyone who responded on the coamings. I still don't understand the need for the rubber tape between the coamings and the fiberglass. Why wouldn't it be sufficient to simply caulk the coaming/side deck interface? Wouldn't that prevent the deck water from rotting the unexposed wood and also prevent wet seats?
Jay
 Mike Lehman <sail_505 at hotmail.com> wrote:Jay and Peter,

The rubber stuff was on all the boats. Whitby used itto seal the backs of
the coamings. Jay, it is important to seal deck water from penetrating
behind the coaming beacause the coaming [although teak] will rot away from
the inside. I used a caulking when I reinstalled mine, I think I used 4200
so I ould take the off again in the future.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505