[Alberg30] cockpit coamings

EddieDiver at aol.com EddieDiver at aol.com
Mon Mar 10 16:19:23 PST 2003

The weakest shaped caulked joint is the fillet-shape or triangular-shaped.
That is the shape one gets when they caulk between the vertical coaming and
the horizontal deck. A triangular-shaped bead will begin tearing at the
hypothenuese (sp?) when it contracts and expands.
The best shaped caulked joint is the butt joint. This would be between the
vertical coaming and the small vertical edge of the deck. For caulking to
work effectively, only the 2 opposite surfaces should be in adhesion. The
top, exposed surface and the bottom surface should be free to contract and
expand. The way to do that is to fill the bottom of the vertical caulking
with a compressed sponge-neoprene or sponge-foamed polyethylene. I should be
1-1/2 times thicker than the finished joint width.

I would suggest putting the sponge material, approximately 3/8 thick,
vertically between the deck edge and the coaming. It will be squeezed down to
approx. 1/4 inch thickness when you install the fasteners. Because you want a
finished square section of caulking, keep the top of the sponge down 1/4 inch
also. Fill the 1/4 by 1/4 resultant opening with the sealant. Try not to have
a fillet-shaped caulking bead. I too like the one-part polysulphides and
one-part polyurethanes. They will adhere to each other when "touching -up";
silicones will not adhere to each other. Ed. Schroeder #303 Emotional Rescue.
 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |