[Alberg30] Window storm shutters

DanaB Berube5 at cox.net
Sun Mar 16 08:45:56 PST 2003

On Friday, March 14, 2003, at 08:52  PM, Randy Katz wrote:

> Greetings--  A couple of things in mind...
>
> 1.    Anyone have thoughts on making storm shutters for the salon
> windows?
> I searched the A-30 site but found nothing about this.  I've seen one
> boat
> that had .5" or so lexan (I think) that was secured over existing
> windows
> with several wing nuts--  can that take a hit without punching a hole
> where
> the wingnuts go through the cabin side?
>     Other ideas?
>     Also checked the Triton site but found nada.

If you check this section of the National Triton Association website:
http://tritonclass.org/mir/

You will find the following reply to this very question regarding storm
shutters- (BTW James Baldwin has twice circumnavigated the globe in his
Triton "ATOM"). I plan to do something similar using 1/2" plexiglass.

Dana Berube
Triton #99 "Whirlwind"

SEA WINDOWS

Jim Baldwin, #384, ATOM

I used to place heavy plywood shutters over Atom's cabin windows before
each offshore passage because I worried about their strength.

Several years ago I removed the cabin windows and replaced them with 10
mm lexan. But first, when I had the frames out, I sealed the gap
between cabin top and cabin liner with thickened epoxy. I did this to
stop future leaks as well as to build up the width of the cabin side
for the thicker windows to fit properly in their frames. The bolt holes
on the inside of the frames were then drilled through the outside of
the frames so that they could be thru-bolted. I countersunk the holes
on the outside of the frames and inserted flathead 6 mm machine screws
with cap nuts on the inside.  These windows are very strong and I don't
carry those awkward shutters anymore.
 +- |      Standard Horizon HX350S   --   ON SALE NOW   --   Submersible Handheld VHF      |