[Alberg30] Re: failed galvanized exhaust system fitting

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Mar 25 08:37:59 PST 2003

Actually, I think steel exhaust pipes probably erode quicker when not
used.  Rust never sleeps.  Hot air dries it out.  I would advise
checking steel exhausts over five years.  It may be fine, but you should
keep an eye on it.  And I wouldn't use steel for the wet part of the
exhaust.

My point is that steel pipe works perfectly well for exhaust pipe.  It's
relatively short lived, but inexpensive.  To condemn all steel exhaust
pipe on the basis of a single failure on unknown age is a bit over-reactive.

That said, I plan to use all bronze on my next exhaust system.  I also
plan to put in a rebuilt Atomic 4.  I'm tired of having a rusting-apart
engine and want to try the other end of the scale.

  - George

gordon white wrote:
>    Since it was in the boat when I bought it I can't be sure of its age,
> but no older than the Westerbeke Diesel engine that was put in about
> 1989. It had about 200 hours on the Hobbs meter when it failed in 1996,
> so my guess is that the fitting was about seven years old and had not
> had a lot of use.
>
> - Gordon White, A-275

   Hope your road is a long one.                        George Dinwiddie
   May there be many summer mornings when,       gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   with what pleasure, what joy,                 http://www.Alberg30.org
   you enter harbors you're seeing for the first time;
                                            from 'Ithaka' by C.P. Cavafy