[Alberg30] backing plate

Jay Davenport jay at saildriver.com
Tue Mar 25 12:08:07 PST 2003

Dave,
I don't have the plans with me at the moment, but I believe that the overhang at the centerline of the boat is 5" to 8". I kept it as short as practical to maximise strength. It had to be at least this long to keep the furling drum clear of the Windline URM-1. At the point where the oak platform crosses the stem fitting, it is greatly strengthened by the URM-1 being bolted to it. In effect, I have a 1/4" stainless C-channel which reinforces the 1 1/2" white oak. It isn't unbreakable, but given the short overhang and inherent strength of the design, I believe that the anchor or rode would fail long before the platform will. The URM-1 by itself was designed for boats up to 55' long.
Jay
 Dave Terrell <DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu> wrote:Thank you for the excellent detailed description of the system you are
constructing. I have one question - how far does the oak platform
project beyond the stemhead fitting?

>>> jay at saildriver.com 03/24/03 05:33PM >>>

Dave,

I like to anchor out, and I normally do it a lot. Although Revolution.....